In 1875, a two-room red brick schoolhouse was built on Pleasant Ridge Avenue near Main Street for the benefit of the farm children in the area, and just one year later Capital University moved from Columbus to its present campus site. Urbanization had begun.
In 1864, the first brick school house was built at what is now College and Livingston
The opening of the portion of the national Road (Main Street) connecting Zanesville with Columbus in 1833, and the building of the Turnpike Plank Road (Broad Street) connecting Granville with Columbus in 1852, created the groundwork for settlement of the Bexley area.
Pioneers created farmlands from the lush forests. Homes, taverns, school houses and small businesses began to spring up.
As early as 1 AD, human life is know to have existed along Alum Creek, as evidenced by a prehistoric Adena Indian Mound found here. Historic indigenous peoples lived and hunted in the area between 1650 and 1795 when the Treaty of Greenville forced them to the north.